Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Assignment #5 - Portraits



-Grandpa-

A shining role model to me of always having good humor.... always.








-Keith-

Keith's wife. Elise, told me he was a former army ranger while he read the paper, which "he does every morning."
I thought that was really interesting and she helped me approach him about being the subject of some photos.
I began shooting him in natural light that was beautiful and soft...
not understanding what an army Ranger does/is.
I asked ignorant questions about "the army" and "what was Germany like?"
He then tells a story about training where two men were sent into a pit and were left there until one of them was unconscious. I quickly changed my lighting.

Intimidating.


2 comments:

  1. "Keith" ...If you blacked out his face (like what I saw from the projector) this picture tells me the story of the deepest of sadnesses. Since I literally can't see what he's looking at, to me, this is a story of "Survivor Guilt". Many survivor's ask the question, "Who am I? Really. Who am I that I was saved? I am no one." That's where the guilt comes from. They think they are faceless. They have no identity. Not one worth saving anyway. Your picture depicts what poor soldiers go through brilliantly. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. your grandpa is so stinkin cute!!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete